A VISIBLE GIFT TO REMEMBER THAT SOMEONE SPECIAL.
"EVERYONE WANTS TO BE APPRECIATED, SO IF YOU APPRECIATE SOMEONE, DON'T KEEP IT A SECRET".
The gardens, established during the Renaissance and Baroque era, are decorated with fountains and sculptures. The gardens cover approximately 23 hectares (57 acres) which is most of the Vatican Hill. The highest point is 60 metres (200 ft) above mean sea level. Stone walls bound the area in the North, South and West.The gardens date back to medieval times when orchards and vineyards extended to the north of the Papal Apostolic Palace. In 1279 Pope Nicholas III (Giovanni Gaetano Orsini, 1277–1280) moved his residence back to the Vatican from the Lateran Palace and enclosed this area with walls. He planted an orchard (pomerium), a lawn (pratellum) and a garden (viridarium).
It is there that larger and more recent gardens have been planted, covering together with the original garden about half of the 44 hectares of Vatican City.
Along the ilex avenue that leads on from here to the French Garden you will be struck by the strong scent of the flowers and wood of the majestic camphor tree (Cinnamomum glanduliferum Meissn.). Beyond this Garden lies the heliport built under Pope Paul VI (Giovanni Battista Montini, 1963-1978) which Roman Pontiffs now regularly use when going on their numerous pastoral journeys. The heliport has been placed under the protection of the Black Madonna of Częstochowa depicted here in bronze. From here one can admire the great open space of the French Garden, by strolling along the red rock paths lined with ancient terracotta pots adorned with the papal coat of arms and filled with stunning azaleas (Rhododendron L. sp.). Placed here is a dug-in water cistern which can hold up to eight million litres of water necessary for irrigation, filling up the fountains and for fire prevention in the Gardens. Surrounding this area are some rare trees. Among these are: an Australian silk-oak (Grevillea robusta A.Cunn.), two very tall examples of dawn redwood (Metasequoia glyptostroboides Hu & Cheng.), an olive tree donated by the State of Israel to mark the establishment of diplomatic relations with the Holy See, and a wide variety of other trees donated over the years by different delegations visiting the Holy Father
Holy water bottle with black screw cap in the shape of a cross for carrying and sprinkling holy water. Frosted plastic bottle holds approximately 100ml of holy water. Bottle does not include any contents.
© 2015-2017 Giardini-Vaticani Roma. Powered by CS-Cart - Shopping Cart Software